The Blender has been crowned the 2011 BotsIQ College division champions in the 120 lb division. I want to congratulate the UTD team for carrying on with the tradition of excellence that the Blender name has become synonymous with. They have worked extremely hard on the robot and I am extremely proud of them! The future is bright for the Blender and it has huge potential to become even better. All this has made me want to start building a Battlebot again. Maybe I should put my money where my mouth is and just do it…
BattleBots IQ, Blender - 2009, Blender Mini 2009, News / 3 Comments
We got back from the Battlebots on Sunday. Blender Mini turned out to be phenomenally durable and robust however it likes to flip upside down. We are attributing this to it’s high center of gravity and low moment of inertia. Once it flips, it goes into what we started calling the Spinning Top of Death Mode. Due to this, we got knocked out of the tournament pretty early on. We lost our first fight. It was against the team that went on to win the competition. Our second fight was a one hit victory and our third and final match was a loss to the UTA robot. Even though we ended up walking away without any awards, I was pretty happy with the robot’s performance this year. Unfortunatley I am not aloud to say anything about how well Blender did until Battlebots airs on TV.
This is my first semi-stable test with both spin motors. I had to limit both motors to 30% power because of the obvious stability issues. I am planning on taking my shell over to the auto shop tomorrow and seeing if they can hook it up to the tire balancing machine.
Everything in this test goes smoothly until I try to attack the Dewalt Box! Foolish Me! I should have never messed with Dewalt!
This test is limited to 70% with one spin motor.
The Richardson High School Kids have been hard at work and they have completed an AMAZING full redesign of the Blender. We had some chances to test out its full capabilities before it shipped so I figured that I would go ahead and share some of the footage we took.
The Blender VS Margarita Machine!!! (1 of 2)
The Blender VS Margarita Machine!!! (2 of 2)
The Blender VS Microwave!!!
Blender Mini is looking scary powerful. I have spun it up a couple times now and HOLY CRAP! I don’t want to be anywhere near that robot when it is spinning. Take last year’s spin speed and times it by 3. I will get videos up as soon as I mount some new modified spin wheel parts. It turns out that the threads on my spin motors just strip out when I am spinning the robot so I have gone back in and put larger threads in my robot. As a biproduct, I have elimanated all the metric bolts on my robot. Hooray!
Blender Mini is almost done. We found an issue when we spun it up for the first time the other day with how the spin wheels where attached to the spin motors. That is being fixed as I type this. The little bitty CNC mill I have at UTD has been cranking away at parts for over a week now. I want to make sure that I have lots of replacement parts by the time we go to the competition. I will hopefully be putting video up as soon as it all gets tested.
I havn’t made much progress in the past couple of days because of the FIRST robotics competition. We got the plates back from being laser cut on Wednesday (see picture) last week and they will be ready after I go through and countersink all the holes today. Max Morales over at Richardson High School is being amazing yet again and machining my center shaft for us today while I am stuck at work. I owe a lot to Max and I don’t know what I would do without his help and support. The crate team got a lot of the crate cut and ready to be put together the other day. The team also got some T-Shirt designs brainstormed the other day. Other than that, I dont have much to report.
So I am going to just dive right into what I have accomplished in the past few days. I am almost done making the new spinning shell and I got the spin motors mounted on their base last night (see picture). I’m hoping that the rest of our mcmaster carr order comes in today. I finally diagnosed and fixed the problems I was having with the diagnostics board. That does it for this update. Other than all this, I have just been doing school work, Working, and sleeping about once a week.